Saturday, July 25, 2009

Birthdays, birthdays, birthdays

Ahh, it's been another week of birthdays. My oldest - Kage - celebrated his 12th birthday this past Wednesday. All three of my children have birthdays within a three-week time period in July and August. Middle child Mia will be the next - and the last - birthday of our birthday bonanza that we celebrate every summer.

Every year I re-tell each child the story surrounding their birth day. With Kage, I tell him about our expectation that he was going to be a girl.

Since he was our first baby, Sam and I decided not to find out if we were having a boy or a girl. We wanted to be surprised. Based upon his heart rate though (girls tend to have faster heart rates than boys in utero), the doctor suspected the baby was a girl.

The grandmothers and I went nuts planning for a baby girl - we bought adorable dresses and such. I did buy a neutral outfit for the baby's coming-home clothes, but for the most part, we were all convinced we were going to have a baby girl.

While I was in labor, just a couple of hours before the baby would be born, the doctor came in and looked at the heart rate monitor. She asked if we knew whether we were having a girl or a boy. I told her we thought probably a girl, but the two grandfathers (my dad and Sam's dad) were both hoping for a boy.

She smiled and said "Tell them not to give up hope yet." They were ecstatic. A couple of hours later we heard the pronouncement: It's a boy!

Thankfully, we had a boy's name picked out - not because I expected to need it, but just in case.

When Sam called his mother to give her the news he told her we'd had a baby boy and had named him Kage. He even spelled it - K-A-G-E.

A little while later, Sam's mom called back. She had misunderstood and told Sam's family "They've had a boy and they've named that poor baby Page!" Sam corrected her and once again spelled out the baby's name. K-A-G-E.

A little while later, I spoke with my mother-in-law. She asked how we'd come up with the name Kade for the baby. I told her the baby's name was Kage - spelled K-A-G-E.
I laugh about it now - and it makes a great story that I tell Kage every year on his birthday.

Now it's been 12 years and it's hard to believe how fast the time hast passed. When he was born, everyone told me I'd be shocked at how fast he would grow up.

Yep, that's the truth! Next year I'll have a teenager in the house. I don't think I'm prepared, but I guess I have a whole year to work up to it!

1 comment:

EsoArt said...

13 is pretty tame by teenage standards, also boys are more likely to hide the negative things they do rather than argue aobut them. Good luck with that lol.