Sunday, June 14, 2009

Facing my fear: Arachnophobia


I don't like spiders. I talk in depth about my arachnophobia in an article I wrote here.

I have tried hard to relax my stance on spiders. I try not to spaz out every time one gets near me. It doesn't always work.

In fact, as part of my rehabilitation I have allowed a spider to reside in our house. This is one of those furry black (and harmless) spiders who hangs out on the ceiling. He crawls from room to room in our house on the ceiling. We've named him Larry.

But I digress. This week there is going to be a reading program for the kids at our local library and there is going to be a tarantula on display. Anyone who wants to will be able to hold the darn thing (obviously there are nutcases out there who would like to do such a stupid thing).

I've found myself toying with the idea of holding the sucker in an attempt to overcome my arachnophobia.

So, friends and readers, what do you think? Should I do it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually enjoy spiders, but I'm still not sure I want to actually HOLD a tarantula. Go for it, if you want. ;) Since I have a fear of tornados, I've often entertained the idea of going on a "chase" with storm spotters of some sort. DH says, 'HA...um..you? no".