Saturday, June 20, 2009

I danced with the devil. . .sort of


Well I did it - I held a tarantula. And I survived, but you figured that one out. I wouldn't be writing this and you wouldn't be reading if I'd died from fright.

I took my kids to the local library for a reading program about bugs. The presenter had a few live bugs for the kids to see and even hold - one of which was a tarantula.

Now, I'm not fond of spiders and everybody knows it, but I decided to do something adventurous and hold the tarantula. When the lady asked "Who wants to hold the spider?" I said "I do!"

My kids were shocked. They were certain that Mom was going to spaz out, but I am proud to report that I did it. She set the tarantula in my hands and the critter started to shimmy up my hand a bit toward my arm and I didn't throw it across the room.

My mother even took a picture of me holding the thing - although it sort of looks like I'm smiling. That is actually a grimace.

I am proud of myself - because I have discovered that I am more adventurous as I get older. Ten years ago I would have never even considered doing such a thing.

The best part is that I proved to myself that I could step out of my comfort zone and survive.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Very cool. And yes, you do look like your smiling. My teeth would've been so clenched that my jaws would've hurt the rest of the week!