Monday, July 13, 2009

Dairy Queen saved my baby

Since yesterday was my baby's, ummm, I mean my daughter's 8th birthday, I'll share the story of the night she was born. She loves for me to tell her this and every year starting with her first birthday, I have cuddled with her while telling her about going to the hospital.

Since Ruby has two older siblings, making the trip to the hospital meant my son and daughter needed to go with my parents. The only problem was, we couldn't find my parents!

It was a Wednesday night and they had went to church. Church was already over, but we couldn't find them (this was before they had cell phones). I had a sudden inspiration: People are here go to the local Dairy Queen to hang out after church on Wednesday nights.

We drove into town, hoping that we'd find them at Dairy Queen - and yep, there they were - snarfing on some ice cream.

The end of the story is, of course, a new baby born later that evening!

3 comments:

Pinching Abe said...

Kids love to hear about when they were born --- and I had to tell my 8 yo again today on the way to VBS all about her own birth and her brother's. Of course, if you leave out one detail, they have to correct you. Long story short, junior screwed me out of Bob Evans the day he was born. The doctor was infinitely glad my appt was before I got a full meal (and the anesthesiologist too, I'd bet). Ah the joy of c-sections... She thinks it is cute that she got stuck. Me, not so much.

Anonymous said...

What a great story. :)

Brooke Lorren said...

Cool story