Friday, July 17, 2009

Oops! I didn't mean to say that to you!

I get tons of email every day. To the tune of at least 100 emails each day. Understandably, I have scads of email addresses saved in my contact list. That makes it so much easier when I'm composing emails - to just simply type in the first letter or two of a person's name and my email pulls up the names that fit the criteria, then I click the correct one and I'm set to send.

Well, I'll warn you - make darned sure you choose the right email address and the right person. It's a little embarrassing to send a message to the wrong person. It happened once already to me this morning, then it almost happened again.

The first time was a little embarrassing but no big deal. I was sending an email to someone, when I typed in the first two letters of their first name, it pulled up their email address and the addresses for two other friends. I clicked on the wrong address. About half an hour later I realized my mistake and send an apologetic email to the friend who got the first email.

A little while later I went to send another email to another friend - whose first name happened to contain the same first two letters as the person I emailed earlier. As a matter of fact, this friend has the same first name as the friend I ACCIDENTALLY emailed.

I almost did the same darn thing - and sent the wrong email - again - to the same person that I mis-emailed earlier.

The first email was embarrassing because it was a silly mistake, the second email would have been embarrassing because it was a funny blog that was specifically meant for the person I was intending to email.

It would have been mortifying for the other friend to receive it! Honestly!

So the moral of the story: Double and triple check email addresses before you hit send!

No comments: